As a tow truck owner, you face some of the same concerns as owners of other commercial vehicles, as well as some unique risks. We understand these risks and provide wrecker insurance policies that include several different coverage options. With these options, you can build a policy that will adequately meet your distinctive needs.
Commercial tow truck owners and operators are required by law to carry liability insurance. Because you are also responsible for the well-being of your drivers, customers and the vehicles that you are towing, you’ll need several additional types of coverage on board. Be sure to work with a knowledgeable independent agent specializing in commercial vehicle insurance who can customize a policy to your needs. Your policy may include some or all of the following:
- Tow truck liability insurance: This includes liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage you or your drivers may cause. Minimum liability coverage amounts are mandated by your state’s laws. Tow truck drivers may be held liable under several circumstances:
- If they are at fault in an accident
- If they damage a car they are towing
- If they cause injury to a passenger in their vehicle
- If they damage to another vehicle on the roadway.
This coverage will also provide compensation for legal fees and court costs if you are sued for a covered liability claim.
- Medical payments insurance: This insurance option provides coverage for medical payments incurred if you, your driver or any passengers are injured due to an accident while in your tow truck. This is particularly important as tow truck drivers often provide rides for the owners of the vehicles they are towing.
- Physical damage insurance: This is coverage helps when your truck is damaged, regardless of fault. This type of insurance is usually required by lenders if you have financed the purchase of your truck.
- Comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive coverage provides “other than collision” coverage, and includes damage caused by objects, natural disasters, fire, theft, and vandalism.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance: This coverage provides compensation if you are involved in a collision where the other driver is at fault and that driver does not carry enough insurance to cover your property damage or medical expenses. This type of insurance will also cover a collision with a hit-and-run driver.
- Garage service insurance: Optional garage liability insurance is designed specifically for businesses that offer towing services or service stations. It provides coverage for any damages that may be sustained by a vehicle in service while it is parked or being stored in a covered location. These damages can include those caused by fire, theft, vandalism or even collisions.
- On-hook towing insurance: This coverage is designed specifically for tow truck operators. It will pay for repair or replacement costs if any vehicle you do not own is damaged while you are towing it. This includes damages sustained from collision, fire, theft, explosion, or vandalism.
For a free insurance review and quote, please call Quinton Insurance at (585) 244-9004.
“Great people to work with along with reliable and efficient! Always there for me and my business 24/7, just like we run!”